Thursday, March 14, 2013

Des Moines to Dallas

We are waiting in the Dallas Fort Worth airport for our flight to San Jose. Again during this trip I will be posting from my iPod. Therefore, please forgive spelling and grammar. All posts will be edited upon returning.

I felt the same rush and my same uncontrollable child's smile captures my face. The sensation of running, running, running down the runway, the sun so bright it's almost blinding, and wondering when we will leave the ground is not unlike a feeling I've known in cross country running. Although the grass of the course was green, the blinding setting sun swathed my vision in amber and gold. Running up the rise into the sun, I had a info those vivid runner's thoughts: " I'm flying." In the morning's white sunlight, I remembered this Iowa autumn day.

The sunlight through the window is warm, and I'm beginning to remember the feeling of too much warmth. Sitting on the runway for several minutes, I told myself to remember everything about the Iowa landscape: the grey brown trees, the rolling terrain, a small flock of black birds, the dark soil, the streaks of snow. Dr. Burras' words meander into my mind. " you see what you know. You see what you value." Now that we are in the air, I see rivers sculpted into crescents, roads that are not quite grids, but indicate their desires to be. I see reflective dark water, slightly green, slightly blue. In most places, the soil is black and naked, and crests of snow line the fields. I see nature; I see agriculture.


We are boarding for our final destination!!




No comments:

Post a Comment